Friday, October 28, 2011

Oh How I Love the Desert in the Fall


On the road today, on my way to rockhounding sites in western Utah.   Tommorrow I will be collecting Utah Wonderstone, and on Monday I will be digging Trilobite fossils.  Great new stuff to take to Arizona.  I am excited to open next week.

I have lots of rough to start cutting and polishing and several pieces in the works that need to be finished once I am open and concentrating on work again.  I tell myself that I will work on stuff while I'm on the road, but, other than computer-type stuff like this blog, I never do.  I could, technically, but I just spend my days hiking, kayaking, climbing, rock hunting, or whatever, and then when I get back to camp I just want to enjoy my evening by the fire.   This week it has been cold, so the fact that I got my blog up and running again can be directly attributed to that cold weather.   It has just been too dang cold to sit outside by the campfire- so I have been inside at night.

When I get to Quartzsite, it will be much warmer than it has been the entire time I have been on the road this fall.  I will miss this part of the desert.  It is the Great Basin Desert, and it is different in many ways than the Sonoran Desert where Quartzsite is.  To many people, a desert is a desert.  But I have been to all four of the deserts in the US, the Mohave, the Chihuahuan, the Sonoran, and the Great Basin.  Each one is different, with its own character, look, and feel.  Even the plant and animal life varies from desert to desert.  There are many similarities, too, but still each one is unique.

I will miss the desert of Utah.  The fall colors of the cottonwoods and the aspens have been beautiful against the brightly colored hues of the sandstone outcrops.  The rabbitbrush is still blooming yellow and some of the other bushes are glowing with reds and oranges.  Even this week, during the cold spell, the trees were still trying to hang on to their fall regalia.

But, work calls.   The snow bird season rapidly approaches.  After all, it is in the 80's still in Quartzsite, only into the 50's at night.  So I must bade goodbye to the beautiful Great Basin desert and head south to the Sonoran, which will be my home for the next four months.

No comments:

Post a Comment